Would you like to write for us? We are looking for people with a passion for health, green solutions,
and environmental issues that need awareness. If you are interested,
please email us SanusSomes2010@gmail.com.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Who's your daddy?

I hope it’s not this guy.  If you are unaware of how much sugar is in your daily diet, he just may be. 

Of all of the blogs that I have written this one has been the most eye-opening for me.  I am always preaching the dangers of sugar to anyone who will listen, but when I did the research for this blog, even I was surprised.  I know that sugar is laced in too many of our foods and drinks and in large amounts, but I didn’t think it was this bad.  I wanted to show you just how much sugar was in some of the foods you may be eating.  I got this idea from a web site called sugarstacks.com.  I do recommend this web site to anyone who wants to see more pictures like this but I disagree with their picture of the fruits and vegetables pictures. As you will see sugar cubes are stacked near a food or drink to show you how much sugar is in that item.  Sugar cubes are refined sugar (Check out my blog Dextran, Maltose, Turbinado, Galactose, and Sorbitol. Could these be the new Transformers? If you don’t know what refined sugar is).  There are no refined sugars in fruits and vegetable, so it is misleading when they show pictures of sugar cubes stacked next to fruits and vegetables.  I hope you enjoy these pictures and find them inspiring enough to start cutting back your sugar intake.  Enjoy!

Everyone knows that soda is bad for them. This is why.


This is a one cup serving size.


This is ¾ of a cup serving size.  As you can see this bowl is only 2 inches high.


This bag is only .9oz.  The bag advertises 100% of your daily intake of vitamin C and 0% cholesterol. Too bad the vitamin C is not in its natural form.


I used to eat one of these a day.  When I stopped I lost 5 pounds.


This bag is only 1 oz. Apparently, actual fruit is not sweet enough for Ocean Spray, so they add their own opinion with extra sugar.


This is a 1 cup serving size.  My son loves this stuff and never drinks just one cup. He usually downs the whole thing. So I showed him the next picture.



He told me he thought it was good for him because he see all of the pro athletes drinking it on TV.  By the way, it has almost your entire daily intake of salt in it.


This is ¼ cup serving size. Syrups are dense forms of rich sugar.


This bar advertises only 90 calories.  It isn’t even 4 inches long.


I found it strange that this Special K bar had more sugar than the chocolate drizzle one.


This is ¾ cup serving size.  Yes, it is made from oranges, but the sugar is separated from the vitamin, minerals and fiber so it is just like refined sugar.


This is ¾ cup serving size.  This box boasts it is the breakfast of champions.  It has pictures of pro athletes on the back who claim to have helped develop this cereal.  This is not the kind of breakfast you should be eating if you want to be healthy.

If you have a favorite food and you would like to see the sugar amount displayed like this please let us know.  We will be glad to show you.

Check in later for our last sugar article highlighting high fructose corn syrup and its effects on your body!



Written by Joann Agoglia
Edited by Robert Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment