Would you like to write for us? We are looking for people with a passion for health, green solutions,
and environmental issues that need awareness. If you are interested,
please email us SanusSomes2010@gmail.com.

Friday, August 5, 2011

Recipes for the Health Conscious but Clumsy Chef
Hummus

Hummus can be used for any meal!
When we first made the commitment to eat healthier and live greener we often felt like we couldn't eat anything. It was very frustrating. We like to be active and love to hike, and when we can't, we walk or ride our bikes. When we do go on a hiking trip, the hike usually lasts all day. With all of this activity we need food. I mean real food. Most people thing we eat salads all the time, but that is far from the truth. We need protein and carbohydrates to keep us going. We decided that we needed to make our own food. By making our own food we don't have all of the chemical preservatives and additives that store bought, prepared food has. We needed recipes that were quick and easy. When I say quick and easy, I really mean it. I am horrible at cooking, and I didn't want Rob to shoulder the responsibility of making most of our meals. I needed a recipe with no more than 5-6 ingredients and as few steps as possibles to put those ingredients together. Any more than that and I could swear that the room starts to spin, and I feel like I am reading another language. Rarely is there a time in the kitchen (even today) when I am preparing a meal that I don't burn myself or cause a finger to bleed.  So for all of you who find it an accomplishment to make an edible peanut butter sandwich, there is hope. All of these recipes that we will be posting have been successfully made by me. I know they are a success when people go back for seconds instead of drinking large amounts of water during the meal or search the cabinets for something to eat immediately after dinner. If you have any questions about this or any of our recipes, please feel free to ask. If there is a mistake to be made with any of the recipes chances are I have already made it, and I can help. Here is one of the first things that I made that actually tasted good. Enjoy!


Hummus
  •  4 garlic cloves, minced and then mashed
  •  2 15-oz cans of garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
  • 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
  •  1/2 cup water
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  •  1/2 teaspoon of salt
  1. You can use a food processor, a blender, or just smash the beans with a potato masher. 
  2. Add the garlic, lemon juice water and olive oil. Mix together until smooth.
  3. Add salt to taste. 
I sometimes I add canned tuna or tomatoes to this. You can use this as a dip or in a sandwich. Spreading this over a couple of slices of tomatoes in between two pieces of whole wheat bread is a great lunch or dinner. The chickpeas are filled with protein and, since we don't eat a lot of meat, this is a great way to get our protein.


Recipe by Joann Agoglia

No comments:

Post a Comment